76 of the 110 schoolgirls whom militants abducted from their boarding school on February 19 were “dropped off” early Wednesday in Dapchi in northeast Nigeria, Alhaji Lai Mohammed – the minister of information and culture, said in a statement.
The release of the students was ongoing, and the number of freed girls will be updated after the remaining ones are documented, the statement said.
Boko Haram fighters abducted the 110 girls from the Government Girls Science and Technical College in Dapchi on February 19.
In the statement, the information and culture minister said the 76 students had been released following “back channel efforts” by the government.
The minister said the release was unconditional. “The government had a clear understanding that violence and confrontation would not be the way out as it could endanger the lives of the girls,” he said in the statement.
Kachalla Bukar, the secretary of the missing girls parents’ association, told newsmen the girls were seen walking into Dapchi at about 7:30 a.m. local time.